Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sorry Little Drummer Boy

Of the 7 channels we get without cable, one is a local Christian station. Occasionally I find Tony Evans preaching, but beyond that it is pretty much a channel dripping with unintentional comedy. A couple days ago I stumbled upon a program featuring a man teaching a small group of adults about the evils of music, particularly rap. It turns out the program was taped around 1992, when MC Hammer had released his single "Pray." I remember having the "MC Hammer has a song called Pray he must be a Christian!" argument with my youth pastor- so I had to stop and watch. Besides making it abundantly clear that he felt MC Hammer was not a Christian he made it no less than abundantly clear that he felt rap music was not only fleshly, worldly music but that it also could not be "Christianized." Not even by DC Talk! Anyway, here was his best line of the 10 minutes I watched...

"What is the purpose of drums? To keep time. Will there be time in heaven? NO! SO, there will be no drums in heaven!"

1 comment:

Sarah said...

seriously I couldnt stop laughing at this post.

No drums in heaven.

we've got to pray. I said we pray just to make it today. --MC HAMMER

Isnt he a pastor somewhere now?